Comic book news & reviews!

Monday, March 1, 2010

Fables - War and Pieces (Vol. 11)

Story by: Bill Willingham | Art by: Mark Buckingham, Steve Leialoha | $12.99 USD, $17.50 CAN | vertigocomics.com

The war is over! We've been waiting 72 issues to get to this point. Gepetto is brought to Fabletown. As you might imagine the reception is less than favorable. The story moved pretty quickly for me, and I honestly wasn't left with that satisfactory feeling that one gets after finishing a book. The war brought so much pain, but it seems like the real pain is about to begin. Much like say Iraq? With the leader, Gepetto, captured and his magical powers restrained what's left is a power vacuum. The characters we meet (whom Gepetto proudly admits to keeping caged it) that have just been released are down right scary. I don't know if I can emotionally handle the Fabletown (or whatever they're called now that the town is no longer a town) citizens going through more horrors.

Speaking of horrors...what was up with the art?? Am I reading Archie? Anyway...I'm going to take a little break from Fables to rest up for the coming issues. The crossover tp is up next but it's pretty Jack Horner heavy so I'm not to thrilled about getting started on that.

I hope Fables gets its artistic groove back and that the folks left in the Mundy world can bear the brunt of the coming darkness.

0 comments: